" width="8" height="8"/> Bavaria
Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+
ro4444
post Jan 7 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #1

Hero of the people

Group: JFTD
Member No.: 85

I realize that this would probably be better suited for the Paradox forums, but I felt like giving this a shot here so this forum wouldn't be defined by two threads.

I was brushing up on my German history for the first time in about six months, and while reading up on Bavaria, I found myself lacking information I wanted. I remember going over this before, but I don't remember the details, which is what I was interested in. Plus I don't have a lot of my materials on hand. I pretty much only have online sources; namely Wikipedia (not great), Regnal Chronologies (often inaccurate), the Catholic Encyclopedia (not great, much less focus on non-ecclesiastical territories), and WHKMLA (incomplete and written by someone with an subpar knowledge of English).

Anyway, it's basically a two-parter.

1. Rulers of B.-Munich

# Stephen III (B.-Ingolstadt 1392-1413).........1395-1402 d. 1413: and...
# Ernest (B.-Ingolstadt 1395-1402)..............1397-1438 and...
# William III (B.-Ingolstadt 1395-1402).........1397-1435 and then...
# Adolph........................................1435-1440 with...
# Albert III the Pious..........................1438-1460

After the death of his brothers John and Frederick, Stephen III attempted to take control of B.-Munich. Ernest, who ruled together with William in B.-Munich, forced Stephen to confine himself to B.-Ingolstadt in 1402. What were Ernest's and William's roles in B.-Ingolstadt?

Also, any details of Stephen's campaign to conquer Tyrol in 1410 would be appreciated.

2. B.-Straubing

William II (VI) of B.-Straubing, Hainaut, Holland and Zeeland, died in 1417. As the only direct descendant of William, Jacqueline was in line to succeed him. However, her uncle John, the Bishop of Liege, contested the succession, resigned from the bishopric, and somehow managed to gain control of B.-Straubing, as well as the provinces in the Low Countries by 1420. He was poisoned in 1425. A detailed account anyone can find on the conflict between Jacqueline and John, as well as the circumstances behind John's death, would be helpful.
User is offlinePMEmail Poster
Quote Post
libvertaruan
post Jan 8 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #2

my real name is Brunstgnägg

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 125

I used google to try to help you, but so far it is to no avail, however...

http://www.hostkingdom.net/centeuro.html

Béla IV must surely rank as one of history's most beleaguered sovereigns. Very early in his reign Hungary was invaded by the central wing of the Mongol Horde under Batu Khan; half the nation was put to the torch, while Béla was reduced to fighting running skirmishes and counting himself lucky to scamper away each time in the other half of the Kingdom. His empassioned pleas to western Europe for aid were answered... by a second invasion of Hungary on the part of his rapacious neighbour, Frederick of Austria. That both he and Hungary survived at all must be accounted a small miracle.
User is online!PMEmail Poster
Quote Post
Sushi Bar
post Jan 8 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #3

I am Mehul

Group: Members
Member No.: 857

Rolly, I have some greats books on that time period but unfortunately I brought them back from Bavaria and they are all auf Deutsch. I'm more familiar with Ludwig II's time period. Actually, the story of Ludwig II's death is one of Germany's greatest unsolved mysteries. Very interesting stuff.

E
User is offlinePM
Quote Post
Bar-Aram
post Apr 10 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #4

starving artist

Group: Members
Member No.: 382

QUOTE(libvertaruan @ Jan 8 2006, 02:48 AM)
I used google to try to help you, but so far it is to no avail, however...

http://www.hostkingdom.net/centeuro.html

I've read a little about the Mongol invasion of Hungary. Poor Bela. Even his nobles were against him. They thought his preparations for the Mongol invasion were just a ploy for him to increase his power and drove away the Kipchak Turks (that the Mongols had driven into Hungary) who could have been of great help in resisting the Mongols. And the ruler of Bohemia came with his army to help him against the Mongols, worked to turn the nobility even more against the king then left with his troops before the Mongols arrived.
User is offlinePMEmail Poster
Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 15th June 2006 - 04:12 AM